Friday, March 23, 2012

Love Incarnate

Last Saturday morning I departed for my second Lousiana mission's trip. I wish there were words that could describe some of the things I saw and felt. Only God knows my heart's state at this point; the joy it contains. We helped a church by the name of Calumet Baptist; overflowing with people so full of love and thankfulness. By hard work and smiling faces, we were able to touch their hearts. We also had the opportunity to clean a paraplegic's home, and my best friend and I were able to interview him. As tears filled his eyes, he spoke how thankful he was for us to be there. In that moment; I realized this is what life is all about, LOVE.
After one day's glory, we went upstairs to the Calumet Baptist and wrote on the wooden walls verses and prayed together and individually. This place would be a retreat for victims of any future hurricane.

One evening we went "gator hunting". A wonderful man named Kevin took us into the dark swamps and showed us it's own beauty and creatures. Sitting in that boat, I have never felt so at peace and in awe of God's beauty. The stars hung over us, and we even saw the planets clearly too. His thick Cajun accent; so full of adventure and joy. Anxiously awaiting for the catch of an alligator, Kevin took off his shoes, grabbed a baseball bat, jumped into the water and smacked the gator on the top of the head; knocking him out. This gator was over SIX feet long, he came back to life as we pet and awed at the creature. This experience might have been the most thrilling I've had yet.

I can only type so much to describe these marvelous encounters, with God and his children. I've had a realization I'm hoping reading this you may have too, life is all about these things. Adventure, happiness, prayer for the broken, service, kindness, love. I will spend the rest of my life with this awareness.

1 comment: